Phra Pathom Chedi at 120m in height, is the tallest pagoda in Thailand and is the official provincial symbol of Nakhon Pathom. The original Chedi is believed to date back to 193 BCE during the reign of king Ashoka on the Indian subcontinent and is believed to enshrine the tooth of Lord Buddha.
It is believed to be similar to the Great Stupa in Sanchi, India. The present Chedi was built during the reign of King Rama IV in 1853 to cover the former Chedi. The construction of the new huge Chedi was completed in the reign of King Rama V in 1870 AD. In all, it took 17 years to build. In 1911 king Rama VI built the 7.2m Phra Ruang Rojanarit Buddha statue and installed it at the North entrance. The Nakhon Pathom National Museum is located in the southeast corner of the Chedi grounds.
Phra Pathom Chedi is 25km from our house and can be reached by car, tuk tuk or motorbike. The admission price is 50B.